Work Permits

Work Permits During 2020-2021

The Santa Barbara Unified School District values the importance of students being able to work, along with academics. Therefore, we are able to issue Work Permits to students using state guidelines. The safety and health of our students is our number one priority. Since the re-opening of businesses and local shelter-in-place orders may fluctuate, we encourage families to contact employers to ask about social distancing and hygiene procedures. Santa Barbara Unified School District follows the guidelines provided by our state and local officials. 

For the most up to date information about re-opening California, please visit:

Students wishing to obtain a Work Permit

The Santa Barbara Unified School District recognizes that students may wish to apply for a Work Permit, and will issue new Work Permits to students who meet eligibility guidelines. 

Work Permits Issued at School Sites: August 17, 2020 - Jun 5, 2021

Work Permits Issued at the District Office: June 6, 2021 - August 13, 2021

As the CDE and CA Employment Office continue to require wet ink (not electronic) signatures on all Work Permit documents, our district strongly urges students, employees, and families to take all measures of health safety precautions when obtaining the required signatures. 

Additionally, by law, all Work Permits in the state of California must expire shortly after the opening of school in the fall. The expiration date of Work Permits for the 2020-2021 school year is Monday, August 30, 2021. Students who were issued a Work Permit during 2019-2020 who wish to continue working at their current place of employment will need to complete a new work permit application to renew their Work Permit in the new school year. 

Links to Work Permit Application Form (B1-1): SBUSD Work Permit Application B1-1 Form

Process for obtaining a Work Permit:

  1. Students must complete the Work Permit application (also known as B1-1 form) with all wet (not electronic) signatures from their potential employer, and their parents. 
  1. Students have two ways to submit their Work Permit Application (B1-1) when school is in session:
    1. Drop-Off at your School Site: Students can drop off their Work Permit Application (B1-1) at their school site. At the start of the year, permits can be left directly with school staff. By mid-September, there will be grey steel dropboxes in the main office of each high school that will be labeled ‘Work Permits’. These boxes will be checked at least twice a week for new applications.
    2. Mail directly to the your School Site: Students can mail their Work Permit application to their School Site. Please address the envelope as: Attention: Work Permit Application, and use the address for your school site.
  1. During Summer Months When School Is Not In Session: 
    1. Drop-Off at the District Office: Students can bring their applications to the District Office. Applications can be left in the grey steel dropbox at the main desk. 
    2. Mail directly to the District Office: Please address the envelope:  Attention - CTE / Work Permits, 720 Santa Barbara Street, Santa Barbara, CA 93101
  1. Once the Work Permit Application (B1-1) is approved, the student will be notified that a Work Permit has been issued. Students can either arrange to pick up their Work Permit from their school office during the hours of 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.; or upon request, the complete permit will be mailed back to the student via the US Postal Service to the address provided on the Work Permit application form.  
  1. Students are encouraged to keep a digital record and personal copies of all their work documents. 

* Please allow for one week of turnaround time for the work permit to be issued.  

Process for obtaining an Entertainment Work Permit:

The Santa Barbara Unified School District is able to assist families with the application process for an Entertainment work permit by certifying that the student has satisfactory grades, attendance, and health requirements. Students then must file their Entertainment work permit application directly to the CA Division of Labor Standards Enforcement, and it is the state of CA who issues the Work Permit. For more information about CA Entertainment work permits, please visit: