- Grades Served: Transitional Kindergarten*-8
- Address: 6100 Stow Canyon Road, Goleta, CA 93117 | Map
- Phone: (805) 967-6522
- Fax: (805) 967-6382
- TDD: (805) 967-6522 x100
- E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Director of Education: Ms. Laura Donner
- Director of Operations:Ms. Cristina Cullen
- School Mascot: Dolphins
- School Colors: Blue and Gold
- Website: www.sbcharter.org
Santa Barbara Charter School opened September 15, 1993, on the campus of Goleta Valley Junior High School. The school was founded as a result of the commitment of a group of parents and educators who wished to affirm their support for public education by creating an alternative for families who want to be involved in a nontraditional school. Enrollment is not limited to Santa Barbara Unified School District boundaries.
The Santa Barbara Charter School is a parent/staff cooperative with a child-centered approach to education. The school’s curriculum is based on the California State Frameworks and the Santa Barbara School’s Student Goals and Learner Objectives. Elements of Waldorf, Montessori, and Humanistic models of education are incorporated. The theory of multiple intelligences is embraced as a foundation for both curriculum and methodology. Academics are taught through the arts, using drama, stories, music, art, and storytelling.
Among the school’s program highlights are a home-based partnership. Opportunities are available for home schooling children to attend school one or more days a week where they work with specialists, then join the rest of the school for recess, elective activities, and performances.
* Transitional kindergarten is offered only in the home-based partnership program.