Independent Study PE (ISPE)
CRITERIA AND GUIDELINES
To qualify for ISPE a student must have a Grade Point Average (GPA) of 2.0 and no conduct violations. In addition, the student must meet the following criteria:
The student is an exceptionally gifted athlete who is competing at a state or national competition level. A student participating in a non-ranked activity must be at an advanced level.
- Students must provide a portfolio which include applicable evidence for meeting ISPE criteria such as: official competition records, results, or rankings; a calendar of competitive events; evidence of membership in an official league or athletic organization; copies of performance contracts; lists of competitive dance pieces; lists of advanced level course enrollment, or any other evidence of advancing rank.
- The supervised instruction requirement which includes training and competition or performance and must be a minimum of fifteen hours every two weeks.
- The parent will be required to sign a Parent Release of Liability Form which holds the District harmless from any liability or claims as a result of the ISPE program.
- All ISPE instructors/coaches are to provide insurance verification and the hold harmless agreement provided in this packet.
- All Students in grade 7 and 9 are required to complete the California Education Department’s physical education fitness test at the same time as all the other students in these grades. It will be the responsibility of the student applicant to insure that he/she notifies the physical education department chair to arrange for their participation in the state mandated testing program. The student is required to complete the test before credit for ISPE will be granted.
- Students must receive at least a passing score on the CA Physical Fitness Test in either 7th or 9th grade tests to be eligible to participate in the ISPE program.
- Students in grades 11 and 12 who have completed their four semesters of physical education credit for graduation may take ISPE as an elective if they meet the criteria for participating in ISPE.
- Students will not be enrolled in an additional elective course to replace the regular physical education class.
- The parent/guardian agrees to undertake all transportation of the student to and from ISPE. The District will not provide transportation.
While the schools will establish certain requirements in implementing this policy, the Santa Barbara Unified School District and its schools are not responsible for the quality or conditions of instruction conducted off school premises in the ISPE program.
Students must apply annually.
INDEPENDENT STUDY PHYSICAL EDUCATION INSURANCE REQUIREMENTS
LOW RISK INDEPENDENT STUDY PHYSICAL EDUCATION ACTIVITIES
ISPE activities requiring a $1M commercial general liability policy and include the Santa Barbara Unified School District as additional insured:
- Dance (e.g. ballet, tap, swing, hip-hop)
- Ice skating
- Water Polo
HIGH RISK INDEPENDENT STUDY PHYSICAL EDUCATION ACTIVITIES
ISPE activities requiring a $2M commercial general liability policy and include the Santa Barbara Unified School District as additional insured:
- Aerial Dance
- Bicycle (e.g. BMX, racing, jumping, mountain)
- Brazilian Jiu Jitsu
- Martial Arts
- Rock climbing (including indoors)
- Roller blading