AB 104 Secondary Grade Change Request

Dear Parent/Guardian of high school students for the 2020-21 school year,

Governor Gavin Newsom signed Assembly Bill 104 (Gonzalez) on July 1, 2021. The bill provides for a limited process to request that high school grades earned during the 2020-21 school year be changed from a letter grade to Pass or No Pass. This process applies only to students attending high school during the 2020-21 school year, and the process must be completed by August 17, 2021.

Process for Requesting a Grade Change

To be eligible for a grade change, the pupil must have been enrolled in high school in the 2020-21 academic year.

The application form to request a grade change may be downloaded at:


There is no limit on the number or type of courses eligible for a grade change.  However, please note that grade change requests for a dual enrollment/concurrent enrollment course taught by faculty outside of the school district are subject to consultation with the institution that awarded the grade.

The application must be submitted to your student’s School Counselor by no later than August 17, 2021.  ANY APPLICATION RECEIVED AFTER THAT DATE WILL BE REJECTED, PURSUANT TO THE REQUIREMENTS OF THE LEGISLATION.

Within 15 calendar days of receiving the application, you will be notified that the change to the pupil’s transcript has been made.

Important Information Regarding Potential Impact of Grade Changes on College Admissions

Assembly Bill 104 requires that the California State University system not penalize students for Pass/No Pass grades for admission purposes for any applicant who was enrolled in a California high school during any school year from the 2020-21 school year to the 2023-24 school year.

This requirement does not apply to the University of California, private postsecondary educational institutions in California, or any public or private postsecondary educational institution outside of California.

A list of postsecondary educational institutions in California that have indicated they will not penalize students for Pass/No Pass grades for admission purposes may be found at www.cde.ca.gov/ci/gs/ps/ab104surveyresults.asp.

PLEASE NOTE: Some postsecondary educational institutions, including those in other states, may not accept a Pass or No Pass grade instead of a letter grade for admission purposes.  If the pupil in question has applied for, or is intending to apply for admission to a postsecondary educational institution that does not appear on the list noted above, a consultation with the Admissions office of that institution is highly recommended.

To request an unofficial copy of your student’s revised transcript contact your school’s Records Clerk.

For questions regarding this grade change process you may contact:

Shannon Yorke, Assistant Principal at Dos Pueblos High School at syorke@sbunified.org

Alex Sheldon, Assistant Principal at San Marcos High School at asheldon@sbunified.org 

Cailee Villasenor, Assistant Principal at Santa Barbara High School, cvillasenor@sbunified.org 

Clanci Chiu Merritt, Assistant Principal at Goleta Valley Junior High School, cchiu@sbunified.org

Carole Nevarez, Assistant Principal at La Colina Junior High School, cnevarez@sbunified.org 

Ed Gomez, Assistant Principal at La Cumbre Junior High School, etgomez@sbunified.org 

Kristin Lindquist, Assistant Principal at Santa Barbara Junior High School, klindquest@sbunified.org 

Tiffany Carson, Coordinator of College and Career Readiness, tcarson@sbunified.org 

Sierra Loughridge, Executive Director of K12 Curriculum and Instruction, sloughridge@sbunified.org  

Shawn Carey, Assistant Superintendent of Secondary Education, scarey@sbunified.org