Assembly Bill 104

Interested in grade changes?
[click here]
AB 104 Postsecondary Institution Survey Results

In response to COVID, California has enacted new legislation AB 104. AB 104 stipulates that families must have the opportunity to:

Request grade change

  • Students and families may request to change a letter grade for any course in which a students earn an A, B, C, D, or F in the 2020-2021 school year to a Pass or No Pass on the pupil's transcript. There is no limit on the number of requests a student can submit.
  • To make the request, students and families must complete and submit this Form for Student/Parent to Request Letter Grade Change to Pass / No Pass  within 15 calendar days of posting on our website (8/2). The bill explicitly prohibits school agencies from accepting grade change applications after the deadline.
  • Requested grade changes must be implemented by the school agency with written confirmation sent to the student and their parent/guardian(s) within fifteen (15) calendar days of receipt of the application.
  • We are waiting for the CDE to provide a list of postsecondary schools accepting Pass or No pass grades in lieu of a letter grade, and this will be posted on the district website as soon as it is received. Some postsecondary institutions, including those in other states may not accept a Pass or No pass grade in lieu of a letter grade for admissions purposes.

Request retention

  • Families may request a consultation for their student to be retained for the 21-22 SY
  • Within 30 calendar days after receiving a written request, school staff must meet and consult with the parent/guardian. 
  • SBUnified will provide a written response to the family within 10 days of consultation.
  • For elementary we are continuing to follow standards based promotion policy.

Request modification of graduation requirements 

  • AB 104 provides that LEAs must allow high school students who were in their third or fourth year of high school during the 2020-2021 school year, and who were not on track to graduate in four years, to be exempt from all of the LEA’s graduation requirements that exceed statewide requirements. (Ed. Code, § 51225, added by AB 104.) 
  • These students must meet statewide coursework requirements to graduate and can be provided the opportunity to do so through completion of a fifth year of high school instruction, credit recovery, or some other manner."