Beginning December 2, 2019, the Santa Barbara Unified School District invites new families to enroll for the 2020-2021 school year. Our district welcomes children entering transitional kindergarten through twelfth grade. If enrolling for the first time in a Santa Barbara Unified School District school, you must complete the enrollment process online or in-person at your school of residence. A student’s enrollment is based on the parent’s residential address.
At this time, we want to share information with you regarding: enrollment, transfer applications, important dates, and the Open House dates for all the schools to learn of the different opportunities available.
If you live within the Santa Barbara Unified School District attendance area and have a current student attending a district school, you do not need to re-enroll. Your student’s enrollment information will be automatically updated to the next grade level. Your student’s enrollment is based on the address on file at your child’s current school. It is important that all families update their residential address at the current school to ensure enrollment in the school of residence for following school year.
MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENTS FOR KINDERGARTEN (K) AND TRANSITIONAL KINDERGARTEN (TK)
- Any child who will turn 5 years old between January 1 and September 1 is eligible for Kindergarten.
- Any child who will turn 5 years old between September 2 and December 2 shall be offered a Transitional Kindergarten (TK) program.
- Child’s age will determine placement.
SCHOOL TRANSFER DEADLINES AND INFORMATION
For those families requesting their child be transferred to another school, you will be required to submit a 2020-2021 Intradistrict Transfer Application. Applications may be obtained at the District Office, school of residence, or downloaded at sbunified.org as of December 2, 2019.
- Transfer Application Window: December 2, 2019 through January 17, 2020.
- Late transfer applications will not be processed until after August 1, 2020.
- No transfer applications will be accepted after August 1, 2020.
- High school students planning on applying to an Academy must submit an Intradistrict Transfer Application by January 17, 2020 in order to be considered to an Academy. If student is not accepted into their preferred Academy, parent/guardian may cancel the transfer to return to their school of residence.
Please contact Student Services at 805-963-4338 extensions 6276 or 6278 for further information or questions.
DOCUMENTS REQUIRED FOR ENROLLMENT
- Birth Certificate or Passport
- Immunization Records
- K-12 Admission doses: Polio (4); DTaP-Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis (5); Hepatitis B (3); MMR-Measles, Mumps, and Rubella (2); and Varicella (2)
- Includes a Tdap booster vaccination for all new 7th graders and new students to the district.
- Address Verification (one item required). Address verification must be submitted every school year.
- Property tax payment receipt
- Rental property contract, lease, or payment receipt
- Utility Service Contract
- Statement of payment receipt (gas, electric, water)
- Pay stub
- Voter registration
- Correspondence from a government agency;
- Declaration of Residency or shared residency form
- Declaration of Residency (unaccompanied youth)
ELEMENTARY SCHOOL INFORMATION
Please contact schools directly for information, tours, and events. Santa Barbara Unified School District does not process the enrollments for *Charter Schools, please contact them directly for any questions about their enrollment dates and deadlines.
|Harding University Partnership School||805-965-8994|
|Peabody Charter School*||805-563-1172|
|Santa Barbara Charter*||805-967-6522|
|Santa Barbara Community Academy||805-687-2081|
HIGH SCHOOL AND JUNIOR HIGH OPEN HOUSE DATES
(Elementary School Open Houses occur in the Spring)
In order to avoid disruption to ongoing learning of our students in the classroom, no shadowing of high school classes will be allowed.
|Goleta Valley Junior High||January 7, 2020||6 PM||805-967-3486|
|La Colina Junior High||December 12, 2019||6 PM||805-967-4506|
|La Cumbre Junior High||January 8, 2020||6 PM||805-687-0761|
|Santa Barbara Junior High||December 9, 2019||6 PM||805-963-7751|
|Dos Pueblos High School||January 9, 2020||6 PM||805-968-2541|
|San Marcos High School||December 4, 2019||6 PM||805-967-4581|
|Santa Barbara High School||December 11, 2019||6 PM||805-966-9101|
|La Cuesta/Alta Vista High School||January 29, 2020||5 PM||805-966-0883|