- Grades Served: 7-8
- Address: 2255 Modoc Road, Santa Barbara, CA 93101 | Map
- Phone: (805) 687-0761
- Fax: (805) 563-4636
- TDD: (805) 687-0761 x350
- Principal: Ms. Jo Ann Caines
- E-mail: [email protected]
- School Mascot: Lancers
- School Colors: Blue and Gold
- Website: lacumbre.sbunified.org
La Cumbre Junior High School is Santa Barbara’s oldest intermediate school. It was designed in 1926 and opened in 1928 as a junior high school serving grades seven through nine. In September 1993, La Cumbre became the district’s only middle school, serving students in grades six through eight. In September 2002, La Cumbre opened as a two-year middle school, serving students in grades seven and eight.
The Spanish-style school is housed on a 21.95-acre campus on the westside of Santa Barbara. Unique to this campus is a mural that graces the cafeteria, a gift to La Cumbre by the art students of 1986. The mural project was led by Dr. Anne Chestnut. Inspired by local artist Manuel Unzueta, the mural depicts the past, present and future of the Santa Barbara community.
La Cumbre Junior High School is a standards-driven and standards-based school with high expectations for all students and a comprehensive support program. The learning environment encourages self-disciplined, self-directed, and responsible academic and social behavior.
To meet the specialized needs of the school’s most gifted students, La Cumbre offers an interdisciplinary honors program in language arts and social studies and a Gifted and Talented Education program in language arts, mathematics, science and social studies at all grade levels. The school offers a comprehensive program for English language learners, including sheltered instruction. Special needs students receive resource and special day class instruction. La Cumbre offers adaptive physical education and services for sight and hearing impaired students.
California Distinguished School (1992)
Feeder Schools and their District
- Adams Elementary School – Santa Barbara Unified School District
- Harding University Partnership School – Santa Barbara Unified School District
- McKinley Elementary School – Santa Barbara Unified School District
- Monroe Elementary School – Santa Barbara Unified School District
- Washington Elementary School – Santa Barbara Unified School District