Visit ilearn.sbunified.org, SBUnified’s Tech Coach and Integrator Blog
The Common Core State Standards Initiative is a state-led effort coordinated by the National Governors Association Center for Best Practices (NGA Center) and the Council of Chief State School Officers (CCSSO). The standards were developed in collaboration with teachers, school administrators and experts, to provide a clear and consistent framework to prepare our children for college and the workforce.
The standards are based on the highest, most effective models from states across the country and countries around the world, and provide teachers and parents with a common understanding of what students are expected to learn. Consistent standards will provide appropriate benchmarks for all students, regardless of where they live.
These standards define the knowledge and skills students should have within their K-12 education careers so that they will graduate high school able to succeed in entry-level, credit-bearing academic college courses and in workforce training programs. The standards
- Are aligned with college and work expectations;
- Are clear, understandable and consistent;
- Include rigorous content and application of knowledge through high-order skills;
- Build upon strengths and lessons of current state standards;
- Are informed by other top performing countries, so that all students are prepared to succeed in our global economy and society; and
- Are evidence-based.
Common Core Math Newsletter January 15, 2014
California Common Core State Standards for Mathematics
Shifts for Students and Parents A critical component of a student’s success in school is dependent on what and how they learn at home. This practical guide provides steps that parents can take to improve their child’s learning of the Common Core.
- Smarter Balanced Assessment System sample items and performance tasks (SmarterBalanced.org)
- Common Core State Standards Initiative (www.corestandards.org)
- Common Core State Standards Resources California Department of Education (www.cde.ca.gov)
- Curriculum Frameworks (www.cde.ca.gov)