This past weekend, 28 students from La Colina’s show choir, Outburst, traveled to Anaheim and Fullerton for the Musical Theater Competition of America, where schools from all over the nation go to share their performances for adjudication and competition.
This is La Colina’s seventh year at the competition and this year they won first place in both the advanced ensemble and musical review categories. In addition, many solo students were awarded trophies including:
- first place, eigth grade solo Daniel Sabraw;
- fourth place, eigth grade solo Kailey Wipf;
- first place, seventh grade solo with a score of 97.5, Ben Watkins;
- second place, seventh grade solo, Will Steinberg;
- fourth place, seventh grade solo Bridget DeVine;
- first place, eigth grade duet Trevor Hurvitz and Daniel Sabraw; and
- fourth place, eigth grade duet Trevor Hurvitz and Neve Greenwald.
Several La Colina students were selected for honors throughout the competition, including:
- Ben Watkins, best dancer in a musical review;
- Garett Bailey, best singer in a musical review;
- Kidus Efrem, best dancer in advanced ensembles; and
- Daniel Sabraw, triple threat award for best combination of singing, dancing, and acting in the junior high divisions.
Finally, the group won overall Sweepstakes Award for junior high schools at the competition. It is the fifth time they have won the Sweepstakes Award.
In May, the group will travel to San Francisco for the Forum Music Festival with two other show choirs from La Colina: VoiceMale Men’s Ensemble and Amore Women’s Ensemble. The groups are directed by Shannon Saleh, theater and vocal music teacher.